Electrical short in wiring caused Big Tex fire

10/24/2012 4:30 PM
By Associated Press

DALLAS (AP) — Dallas fire officials say an electrical short in Big Tex's wiring caused the fiery demise of the towering cowboy who had been an icon of the State Fair of Texas for 60 years.

Dallas Fire-Rescue released the official cause of the fire on Tuesday, saying it was due to an "unspecified electrical short."

The 52-foot-tall cowboy who greeted fair-goers with a "Howdy, folks!" was destroyed by fire on Friday. After the blaze was extinguished, the tarp-covered remains were hauled from the fairgrounds on a flatbed truck in a procession resembling a funeral.

Fair organizers have vowed to rebuild Big Tex for next year.


Has the Food and Drug Administration done enough to revise its produce safety rule?

  • Yes
  • No
  • Unsure

User Submitted Photos

View photos      Submit your photos

10/25/2014 | Last Updated: 8:00 AM