Grants Available for Farms to Conduct Energy Audits

9/15/2012 7:00 AM

HARRISBURG, Pa. — Funding is now available for farms to evaluate their energy use through an energy audit. Grants are available through the “Pennsylvania Farm Energy Audits Program” to offset the cost of the energy audit, so farms can discover energy “sinks,” or where the farm is losing energy, and find ways to reduce energy costs.

The Pennsylvania Farm Energy Audit Program is a partnership between USDA Rural Development, Capital Resource Conservation and Development Council, the Center for Dairy Excellence and Penn State Cooperative Extension.

“The center is pleased to partner with the USDA, CRCDC and Penn State to promote this opportunity to Pennsylvania’s dairy farms,” said John Frey, executive director of the Center for Dairy Excellence.

Through the program, the USDA will offset the cost of the audit, up to 75 percent, leaving only 25 percent to the farmer’s responsibility. The program will pay the service provider directly for 75 percent of the cost, and it will offer a resource list to find additional funds to pay for improvements identified in the audit.

An application and additional information are available online at, or contact Alan Zepp at the Center for Dairy Excellence at 717-346-0849 or azepp<\@>

Do the deer cause a lot of damage to the fruit and vegetable crops in your area?

  • Yes
  • No
  • Unsure

User Submitted Photos

View photos      Submit your photos

  Ag Markets at Lancaster Farming

2/8/2016 | Last Updated: 1:16 AM