Ingredients and Directions
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup crushed buttery round crackers, such as Ritz crackers
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add butter to melt, then add the crackers. Cook and stir about 3 minutes, or until light brown. Remove crumbs to a plate to cool.
Swiss Cheese Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1-3/4 cup half and half
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, optional
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Using the same skillet as for crumb topping, prepare the Swiss cheese sauce. Turn the heat down to low, then melt the 2 tablespoons butter. Whisk in the flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the half and half. Turn heat back up to medium and whisk fairly constantly until mixture is thickened and bubbly hot. Add shredded cheese, onion powder, optional hot sauce, salt and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted throughout.
For the corn part:
- 1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 (11-ounce) cans corn with red and green bell peppers, drained
- 1 (11-ounce) can white shoepeg corn, drained
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
Add all the corn to the Swiss cheese mixture, stirring to combine. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring a few times, to warm thoroughly. Stir half of the crumb topping into the cheesy corn and then transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle the remaining half of the crumb topping on top of the corn, followed by the sliced scallions. Serve hot.
Source: Iowa Corn/Brenda Score