Of the tens of thousands of uses of industrial hemp, one of the most practical is as a building material known as hempcrete, created by mixing the inner woody core of the hemp plant, known as the hurd, with lime. It’s lightweight, insulating, naturally mold-resistant, and strong. An innovative company from Alberta, Canada, has gone a step further and has patented a structural hempcrete block that fits together like Lego. On today’s show we talk to one of the founders of Just BioFiber — Michael deChamplain — about the blocks and how they are capturing carbon and the hearts of green builders.
June 22, 2019
Take a look at what we have to offer in Lancaster Farming: crop research, market reports, business trends, scientific innovation and more.
- Lanternfly Sighted in York County
- No-Till CBD Hemp Planting Underway
- Electronic Ear Tags to Be Required for Cattle
- Fair Exhibitors Pan Swine Rule
- Dairy Farmers Rally for Whole Milk
- Bedded Pack Makes Life Easier for Cows & People
- Why We Still Believe in Dairy
- Lancaster Farming Moving to New Press
- Farmers Markets Add Fun, Education with Scavenger Hunt
- Vermont Moves Forward With Dairy Summit Ideas