According to Shannon Powers, press secretary at the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, Lancaster County leads the state in number of registered industrial hemp growing sites with more than 80 sites in the county. On this week’s podcast we talk to three key people at PDA: Powers gives an overview of the hemp program and what the department is doing to support hemp farmers; Plant specialist Sarah Pickel discusses the recent changes in the THC testing protocols for growers; and Fred Strathmeyer tells why there are still no great options for hemp farmers in terms of financial services or crop insurance.
Learn more about Industrial hemp from the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture's resource page:
September 14, 2019
Take a look at what we have to offer in Lancaster Farming: crop research, market reports, business trends, scientific innovation and more.
- Harvesting, Drying, Trimming & Curing Industrial Hemp Flower
- For Melissa Whitenight, Milking Time Is Family Time
- Evolving the Century Farm
- Hemp Growers Face Start-Up Challenges
- Compost Key to Sequestering Carbon in the Soil
- Advice From a Conservation-Minded Farmer
- Pie Baker Eyes Farm Show Competition and Beyond
- Humans Can Spread Swine Fever, or Stop It Cold
- New Maryland Farm Bureau Director Focused on the People
- Perry County Teen Shows Grand Champ