This cheesy, crispy, meatless option makes for a great summer dinner. Make ahead of time and stick it in the oven when ready for a quick and easy family meal.
- 1 medium (1 pound) eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Salt, to taste
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon diced fresh basil
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 4 slices Velveeta cheese (or Mozzarella)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Place eggplant slices in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt and toss. Let stand 30 minutes. Rinse well and drain. Layer eggplant, tomato and onion in a greased 9x13-inch pan. Drizzle with 4 tablespoons butter; sprinkle with basil. Cover and bake at 450 F for 20 minutes. Toss the breadcrumbs with remaining butter. Arrange cheese over vegetables. Sprinkle with crumb mixture and Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
Yields 6 servings.