A grain dryer exploded during a barn fire Tuesday morning in Manor Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.

ABC27 reported that the grain dryer belonged to cyclist and entrepreneur Floyd Landis, who was using the machine to dry hemp in space he rented at the barn.

The barn and farmhouse are likely to be complete losses, according to Blue Rock Fire Rescue Fire Commissioner Duane Hagelgans.

He estimated the loss to be around $500,000 for the barn and house and another $200,000 to $250,000 for equipment that was in the barn.

The homeowner works second shift and was sleeping when the fire started, but he heard explosions and his smoke alarm and jumped out a window, Hagelgans said.

The Pennsylvania State Police fire marshal came to the scene.

Lancaster Farming

Newsletter

As part of the Canadian Agri-Food Policy Institute and Farm Foundation’s series “Managing Agricultural Trade in an Increasingly Chaotic World,” a panel of speakers was convened to speak about international trade and the World Trade Organization. Read more