GREENSBURG, Pa. — With Veterans Day approaching, there’s no better time to introduce people to their local veteran farmers, who continue to serve their communities by raising food.
To do that, the Pennsylvania Veteran Farming Project has organized the Veteran Farm Trail on Saturday, Nov. 4, to give people a chance to visit a farm and learn how the farmer transitioned from military service to agriculture.
The locations, times and type of farming are:
• Bucktail Farm, 2266 Mountain Road, Richfield; 11 a.m.-3 p.m.; hops growing operation.
• Fertile Valley Farm, 345 Carley Brook Road, Honesdale; 10 a.m.-1 p.m.; dairy.
• Green“er” Acres Farm, 747 Buttermilk Hollow Road, Claysburg; 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; high-tunnel produce, beef and pork production.
• Heritage Farms, 426 Old Route 21 Road, McClellandtown; 10 a.m.-3 p.m.; Galloway cattle, heritage breed hogs, Leicester sheep.
• Hope Hill Lavender Farm, 2375 Panther Valley Road, Pottsville; 10 a.m.-3 p.m.; farm store, horses, donkeys, chickens.
• Jamboree Farm, 798 Pleasant Hollow Road, Alum Bank; 6 a.m.-6 p.m.; pony rides.
• Pleasant Lane Farm, 231 Phillips Road, Latrobe; 9 a.m.-3 p.m.; multigenerational dairy farm, honey beekeeping.
• Terrace Mountain Alpacas LLC, 7110 John Bum Road, Huntingdon; 10 a.m.-4 p.m.; alpacas, farm store.
For more information and a trail map, visit www.troopstotractors.org.